Muslin for base (10" square)
18" x 22" squares of assorted fabrics
Antique lace, buttons and beads.
needles (the type depends on the embellishment technique)
embroidery hoop (optional)
various colors of embroidery thread
1. Draw the desired pattern on an 8" x 8" square of muslin using a stiff pencil or sewer tracing paper.
2. From the mixed fabrics, cut a piece to be placed in the center of the muslin square. Pin the piece to the back of the muslin so pattern lines show through the top.
3. Cut a second piece of fabric and place the right side of piece 2 over piece 1 and sew along the seam line on the pattern.
4. Open and press the seam. The correct sides should be face down and the muslin pattern should be on the wrong side of the fabric. Fold the muslin back and trim the excess fabric 1/4" from the seam.
5. Repeat the technique, adding pieces of fabric, sewing, opening and pressing..
6. When all the pieces are sewn together, cut the outer edges of the fabric to the muslin and trim off the excess fabric.
7. Embellish the block with lace, ribbons, buttons, embroidery or beads as you wish.